(Makes 4 extra large calzones)
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- To Make Dough: In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the oil, sugar and salt; mix in 1 cup of the flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the rest of the flour, until dough is smooth and workable. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, or until it is elastic. Lay dough in a bowl containing 1 teaspoon olive oil, then flip the dough, cover and let rise for 40 minutes, or until almost doubled.
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- Combine all ingredients and mix together in a bowl.
- Any toppings-pepparoni, sausage, bacon, chicken, onion, peppers, mushrooms, spinach etc.
- After dough has doubled punch down and separate into four mounds. Roll dough out until about 1 inch thick. Add filling and spread out over half of the dough leaving at least 2 inches from the edge. Add toppings and fold clean half on top of filling and seal the edge with a fork. You might have to pull the dough to get it to fit over the filling. Put a slit in the top and back at 375 for 30 minutes! Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. You can use marinara sauce or ranch dressing for dip if desired.