Homemade Pop Tarts
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening, cold and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (You could use butter here but I eat dairy free)
- 4 - 5 Tbsp ice water
- 3/4 cup strawberry preserves, divided (or other preserve of choice)
- In a food processor pulse together flour, salt and granulated sugar. Add butter and pulse mixture. Add 4 Tbsp water and pulse several times, if it doesn't come together in clumps add remaining 1 Tbsp water. Drop mixture onto a clean surface, gather dough into a ball then divide into two portions. Shape each portion into about a 5-inch disk. Cover each with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Line two large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough out onto a floured surface to about 13 by 11-inch rectangle. Cut into rectangles.
- Arrange the rectangles spaced evenly apart on prepared baking sheet. Spread 1 1/2 Tbsp of jam evenly down the center of each rectangle, leaving about a 3/4-inch rim on all sides uncoated. Top each with another rectangle, then seal edges with your fingertips. Poke the top center of each tart about 4 times with a toothpick.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake tarts until golden or about 25 - 30 minutes (some of the preserves may leak out, which is fine, just peel it off once it cools). Allow to cool on baking sheet several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.